just me lexi

i am a lover of all things beautiful in a relentless pursuit of art, ideas, projects, words, photos and the master Artist. i hope to share all my findings here...

Saturday, January 14, 2012

with my own two hands...

 i have big awkward looking hands--always have.  i didn't get my mom's cute chubby hands or my dad's big meaty ones.  yeah so...i pretty much got the worst combination of the two!  and in looking more closely at the back of my hands i can see little things like the healing blister (from a recent hot glue gun attack), the chipped gold sparkle nail polish (thanks to my dear neice reya),  the badly bitten nails (due to my post-christmas blues) and all the new wrinkles and veins that have popped up lately.  but you know the thing about these hands?  they are busy, busy hands.  

lately i haven't had much editing to do so i've had a chance to busy myself with other things...things like knitting and baking and writing creating and gluing and cutting and stapling and modge podging and painting and sketching and...you know what?  it feels good.  it feels really good!  here are some things these two hands have been up to lately...

i modge podged rhett's bedframe with newspaper! 
 a good friend had given us this old wooden bedframe but i didn't love the dark stain of the wood and didn't exactly want to paint it either.  so.....
 i grabbed the sunday paper and picked out all the black and white sections and started gluin'!  it was kinda hard but super fun.  i did most of it while watching the harry potter movies with my potter crazed 10 year old daughter;)  it seemed to go super fast...except for those tricky posts on the end of the bed (those suckers might have made me curse a few times under my breath).  i painted the back of the headboard blue and gave it all a sealing glaze and i just adore how it turned out.
 okay this next project was all pinterest.  the old map poster and lil dandelion puffs have both been pinned on my "to compose" board FOR-EVER.  i finally just sat down and made them.  loved how they both turned out.
 these little dandelion puffs are super easy to make...even for kiddos!  i gave lessons at the park while i was working on them one day while rhett played:)  all the little girls and their mommas wanted to know what i was making.  it's funny how homemade things create conversations and bring people together like nothing else...
 i made this little garland of tags by accident (kinda).  i was using all of these as tags for my christmas gifts and was tired of them going EVERYWHERE...so i strung them on a piece of string i had and then though..."oohh that's kinda cute...i think i'll hang it up:)"  love life's little surprises.
 now THIS my jaeda girl made with HER own two hands (one of which is pictured below).  she made this glorious snowflake at school.  i was floored at her handiwork!  isn't it beautiful???  she's pretty amazing.
 okay this garland is another pinterest piece.  and maybe my favorite new christmas decoration.   i saw a colorful garland made of a simple strand of lights on pinterest and thought that i could make a more subdued, texture filled version of it for christmas.  and this is what i came up with.
 it was soooooo stinkin' easy.  would have been even easier if i didn't pick the longest strand of lights available at the store to make it out of!!!  i just gathered some scraps and crap i had in my craft stuff.  some yarn, some twine, some ribbon, some pearls and i tied it on to a strand of white lights.  THAT. IS. IT.  i love love LOVE it.  and want to make many more...one for every room.  okay.  maybe that's a lil much.  i gotta learn when to stop.
 one more picture up close...
 oh now THIS was a gift.  one of my lovely 2010 brides had it made for me and sent it to me as a thank you for photographing her wedding.  isn't that the sweetest?  she didn't tell me what it was she just asked me to send a picture that i felt encapsulated 2011 for our family.  i knew just the picture as soon as she asked.  miss morgan warner for blue ampersand photography took our family pictures this summer before we moved from missouri to florida.  this lovely picture is of all of our fingers pointing to our new home on a globe.  isn't that the coolest???  love the picture (thanks morgan) and LOVE the ornament (thanks alli).
 i had to slip a few pictures of my tree in here...
confession-- i have a hard time with all the red and green christmas stuff....so as far as decorations go--i stick with neutrals and stars at christmas time.  i have quite a lil star collection going (although my hubby accidentally broke my favorite one this year <tear>).
we made this paper chain together as a family:)  it was so fun--all that cutting and stapling and those sweet moments shared!  that's my version anyway....they might have a different story to tell... ;)
 i've had this old window frame for awhile now...i've been saving it for the perfect project.  and then i thought of THIS.  there are 9 panes on this old window and there are 9 fruits of the spirit.  just perfect!  love having this up in my home as a reminder of what is central...or should be.
 ohhhh and then there was a sidetable.  i found this sidetable years ago at a garage sale.  it's been waiting in my garage for me with a coat of primer on it ever since--just waiting to be allowed to come into the house.  as you can see, i kinda went on a modge podging spree and one night i had a lil modge podge left over from another project (already poured and ready to go) and i COULDN'T waste it.  so i stayed up wayyyyy too late recovering this cute lil guy.
 what did i cover it with?  sheets from a dickens book (of course, what else?).
okay so these are some of my latest projects.  some came straight from my hands and heart and some were purely pinterest inspired.  what are some of your p-inspirations?  i'd LOVE to see them!  please share!!!

5 comments:

  1. Now you've done it .... On a mission to find an old 9 paned window....glad to read and see all of this now to just see your all's faces:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) love the daily reminder of the fruits up for me to see...also love that my daughter notices them too...don't love that she notices when i'm not exhibiting them;) miss you like crazy beck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, that is a great idea, I am going to try to find one as well. Lexi- love to see the awesome stuff you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay so my gramma just informed me that my cute lil sidetable was actually a table that used to belong to my sweet great gramma who passed away a few years back. that makes sooooo much more special than just a garage sale find. i knew it was in my garage forever...i just figured i'd picked it up somewhere. so glad it's in my livingroom and i can think of my gramma lodi each time i see it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What awesome hands you have Lexi! I too love nature and repurposed stuff! Out of hundreds of site found yours very inspirational. Keep calm and create on....
      Angie

      Delete